Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Advanced Player's Guide comments

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

Advanced Player's Guide comments Empty
PostSubject: Advanced Player's Guide comments   Advanced Player's Guide comments Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am

First off, I'd like to start with the optional rules towards the end of the book--they're phenomenal. I'd like to petition Mart here to implement all three new rule subsytems. The extra combat maneuvers add a great deal of depth and options to the combat arena. My favorite is the dirty trick, which includes the time-honored tradition of throwing sand into your opponent's eyes. These combat maneuvers give us a rule system for many of the various actions other than swinging a sword or casting a spell, a rule system that I feel was very much needed.

The Hero Points system rocks, plain and simple. This is a great way for PCs to get rewarded with a point system that is actually usable, unlike experience points. As I read this section, I first thought this was really overpowered. However, the balance of power comes with this line: "The GM is the final arbiter on the award and use of hero points." This makes the system balanced because the GM has total control over it. And, the "cheat death" option is awesome for any PC of Pete's, lol!

Lastly, the character traits are a system that I worked with in the rpg Deadlands, and it's something that I really like. First it's player-optional, so one PC could use them and another doesn't. These traits could help a player flesh out a character and create a backstory that ties into the game. As I found with Deadlands, the balance with traits is that each trait must have a potential negative consequence, as ruled by the DM. For example, this book lists Birthmark as a faith trait. You're essentially born with a mark that looks like your deity's holy symbol, and therefore can use your birthmark as such. As a DM, I would rule that the birthmark then had to be obvious and overt, just like a holy symbol worn by a cleric. Therefore, it couldn't be hidden and you'd be much easier to identify--especially by your enemies.

Overall, these new rules are pretty awesome. I think they did a great job with these.

Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Player's Guide comments   Advanced Player's Guide comments Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 am

I have no problem with the additional combat maneuvers. They're balanced and cover a lot of things that would fall under the "Miscellaneous" column of things to do in combat. You have my approval to use those. I'm not going to be using the other 2 optional rules though. At least not for the current campaign. There's only one session left, and those 2 rules are things that should be taken into account at character creation. You should be petitioning Dave.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Player's Guide comments   Advanced Player's Guide comments Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am

Dave! What do you say bud? afro
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Player's Guide comments   Advanced Player's Guide comments Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Thus far I think this is a great book, sub-domains are clever idea, and the Summoner class looks awesome. I didn't get to the end of it yet and look at these optional rules yet but will as soon as I'm done posting here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Player's Guide comments   Advanced Player's Guide comments Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advanced Player's Guide comments
Page 1 of 1