Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ressurecting Belgarath

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

Ressurecting Belgarath Empty
PostSubject: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Peter's character would like to be resurrected. It's going to cost a total of 25,000gp to do so--only a True Ressurection will prevent him from losing a level. Pete, I believe you said you have a 25,000gp ring you'd like to pawn off? The ring will only fetch half, however. So, we'd need another 12,500gp. The party fund stands at 6,163gp. That's almost half of the half needed. Andreas has another 1,100 he can contribute towards it.

Pete, you may have to sell another of your personal items.

Last edited by Eric Gaidin on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Hold the phone, I found a cheaper way to do it.

Raise Dead (cleric 5) is 5,000gp. Restoration, Greater (cleric 7) is also 5,000gp and restores permanent negative levels. Therefore, we can ressurect Pete's character for 10,000gp as long as we can find clerics to cast these spells.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Incorrect on 2 accounts, sir. First, Pete's ring is a 50k gold piece item. Pawning the ring will thus give you the 25k gold needed for True Resurrection. Second, I'm shocked that you have mistaken a lost level for a negative level. They are two VERY different things. If you want to avoid the level lost for bringing back Pete's character, it's True Resurrection or bust.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Uncle Mart wrote:
Incorrect on 2 accounts, sir. First, Pete's ring is a 50k gold piece item. Pawning the ring will thus give you the 25k gold needed for True Resurrection. Second, I'm shocked that you have mistaken a lost level for a negative level. They are two VERY different things. If you want to avoid the level lost for bringing back Pete's character, it's True Resurrection or bust.

I'm happy I got the price of the ring wrong.

However, the spell Raise Dead clearly states that when a person is raised, "the subject of the spell gains two permanent negative level when it is raised, just as if it had been hit by an energy-draining creature" (329).

It's two permanent negative levels. Greater Restoration, however, states that it "dispells all permanent and temporary negative levels afflicting the healed creature" (334).

This two-spell combo should work just fine.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I could have sworn you actually lost a level. *shrug... must be a previous edition showing through hehe
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Uncle Mart wrote:
I could have sworn you actually lost a level. *shrug... must be a previous edition showing through hehe

Well, to be fair bud, this is no easy task we're going to be looking to do. A fifth level spell (Raise Dead) requires a 9th lvl caster. Spell-casting services cost caster lvl x spell lvl x 10. Therefore Raise Dead is actually going to cost 450gp just to have it cast; 5,450gp total if you include the material cost.

To make matters worse, we then have to find a 13th lvl caster to cast a seventh-level spell (Greater Restoration). That spell-casting service will cost us 910gp on top of the 5,000gp in DIAMOND DUST for the material cost.

It comes down to this. We have the cash to do it, but can we find the diamonds? Once we find those two diamonds, then we need to crush one of them (someone more intelligent than me will have to figure out how to crush the hardest natural substance on the planet).

We're friends with the dwarves, so hopefully they can come up with gems. However, there's no guarantee we're going to find a 13th-lvl caster on hand. I'm sure the dwarves have them, but are they close by? The Core Rulebook reads that any spell whose total cost is over 3,000gp (service cost + material component) isn't "generally available." This could be an adventure in and of itself.

Pete, you have to weigh in here. What do you want us to do?
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

This one is going to be up to Mart to decide how long it would take to find a spell caster that high, or whatever process we need to go through, but I would obviously love to get resurrected for much less money. Then, you could just sell my cloak of displacement for 12500 and I could keep my awesome AC.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Well I'm willing to go on an adventure to find the relevant caster(s) needed. Ideally, if we could just find a 13th lvl caster we'd be set. The dwarves should be willing to sell us the diamonds--if any race has diamonds it's dwarves. The two problems are going to be finding the caster and crushing the diamond.

Pete, if we can get at least one diamond and a 9th lvl caster, would you want to be raised (at two negative levels) and then help us find the other diamond and/or the 13th-lvl caster? You'd essentially have to adventure a little while two levels lower.

I'm up for doing this. Is everybody else?

Pete, not for nothing, but what lvl caster are you (I realize you're an arcane caster)?
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:04 pm

I am a 6th level caster
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm

I would be glad to help adventure to find a 13th level caster, but if we do decide to resurrect me this way, finding that caster is going to be my number one mission.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Peter wrote:
I am a 6th level caster
Well next level you're casting 4th lvl spells. That's a big step. I don't mean to be looking at your character in simply a pragmatic way, but that's the only connection we have to your character so far--you haven't been around too long.

The only other arcane caster we have is Kazbo Spinfist. Stas, what level caster are you?

Kenna's our divine caster in the group. Kenna, what caster level are you?

Here's the reason for asking everyone's caster level: I'm essentially trying to see how long before we no longer have to pay out for spellcasting services. Teleport (arcane) and Raise Dead (divine) will be so much easier then.

Andreas is only a third level caster. However, I have a 22 int though, lol. My 1st lvl spells have a DC 17, hahaha. Only problem is I don't really cast much. I'm actually going to start focusing Andreas more towards the casting part. I can wade in and wreck some stuff up too.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Peter wrote:
I would be glad to help adventure to find a 13th level caster, but if we do decide to resurrect me this way, finding that caster is going to be my number one mission.

Well, quite frankly, it should be the party's number one mission, too, if the party agrees to go this route. We need every party member at full force to go against that purple worm.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Okay, from what I have decided, lets just skip the resurrection, I am going to create a straight wizard.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 1:28 am

we take a loan out from the dwarfs, res belgarath, kill purple worm, reap the rewards from the purple worm, pay back loan, say nothing to the orc.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 9:34 am

Well Belgarath isn't looking to be raised anymore. He must be liking Elysium. So, we need to head to the surface to resupply anyway right? I'd like to pick up a few things myself, especially since we got some gold/gems from the lich. That purple worm is going to be tough.

Ideally, I'd like some time to increase my spell repertoire. I have to two spell books from the lich and Keira also has a Remove Curse spell that the party bought which I have yet to copy down in my spell book.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:37 pm

to answer your question, I am an 8th level caster. Sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple 4. (first level DD you don't gain a casting level)
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 am

Awesome Stas. You are the top arcane caster in the group. I'll be deferring to you when we need major arcane power.

Thanks for being open about your build. I never understood players who didn't like to reveal their character's build, like it ruins the game. I've always imagined it as a conversation between characters. "Hey man, what can you do?" It's important for an adventuring party to know exactly what it is comprised of. It's the only way to know our strengths and weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:21 pm

No problem, and I never understood it too much either but that's just the mystery some people may enjoy. Also, any protection is good protection lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ressurecting Belgarath   Ressurecting Belgarath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ressurecting Belgarath
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales :: The Current Campaign :: The Rusty Axe-
Jump to: