Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E? Empty
PostSubject: Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E?   Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Looking back on 4E, I think it really did have its positives. It's a simpler system than 3E but it still had a lot of potential. I just read an interesting blog post concerning the DMG2 that comes out this month. It sounds like they really tried to focus on the roleplaying and social aspects of the game rather than combat, which has been the focus of most of the published books thus far. They've actually created rules for earning xp for role-playing. Check out the DMG2 review:
http://newbiedm.com/2009/09/19/whats-cool-about-the-dmg2/

Note: Apparently there's an entire chapter devoted to Skill Challenges which, according to the reviewer, should have been how they presented skill challenges in the first DMG. I'm really interested in reading that chapter because I think that particular game mechanic has a lot of potential.

Other things I enjoyed...

**Powers. The powers for each class was one of my favorite things about 4E. As a fighter, most options you had conecerned power attack or basic attack. If you were fancy you'd sunder an opponent's weapon, and if you were high enough lvl you could take another attack. Powers added a beautiful dimension to combat, and I am going to miss that when we switch to 3.75.

**Mowing minions. It's hard to beat the satisfaction of destroying 10 minions with one power.

**Action Points. Admittedly I'm a fan. It's nice to know that you have a special reserve in your back pocket to be used whenever you're in dire need of a little extra something.

What I'm not going to miss...

**Healing surges. I've always had a hard time trying to figure out how, in-game, you explain the regeneration of 10 hp. Freakin' weird.

**Static defenses. I'm a sucker for good ol' fashioned saving throws. It seems that the attacks that target a saving throw really should involved a chaos factor, i.e. a die roll.

**Stripped down skill system. The skill system sucked, plain and simple. You're only trained or untrained.

**THE WHOLE MAGIC SYSTEM. This is a biggie. Whoever developed the idea of rituals should be shot. Oh, the most powerful magic has been taken out of the combat system? Great idea! I can now spend time studying and performing a ritual so that I can cast Arcane Lock on a door. What the hell were those developers thinking? All magic users were robbed of the pleasure of finding new and powerful spells that they could use in combat.

**We need all characters to be balanced. Waaa! Waaa! Look, magic is tougher than a guy with a sword, plain and simple. However, if that guy with the sword can obtain a few items....

I'd love to hear your thoughts folks.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E?   Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:35 pm

i kind of miss it, but not greatly. Pathfinder and 3.5 are the editions I was brought in on, and enjoy them much better. I'll play 4th again if a group is new to the game and I want to introduce them to the system.
Back to top Go down

Any second thoughts on giving up on 4E?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales :: D&D 4E :: Dragon's Den-
Jump to: