Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stas's Tyranids

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
The Lord-General

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:05 pm

After two battles, I have some constructive criticsism that I think might help you. I don't think these are big changes.

1. Lictors: bane of Imperial Guard - Not only do these guys have the phermone trail to help bring in your units, they also are str 6 and have a shooting attack now! Strength 6 is perfect for assaulting all IG tanks since they all have rear armour 10. You can also use them to act as a homing beacon for your deepstrikers (Trygon/Mawloc/spore launched gaunts/gargoyles). If you want to use them as a homing beacon, go to ground in cover with that 2+ cover save and they should last. ** Can lictors start on the table and not in reserves? If they can, this is one way you can get that +1 to reserve rolls right away.

2. Good things come in pairs - As a guard player, there is one basic rule to always remember when it comes to tanks. Never take only 1 battle tank. It will draw all of your opponents anti-tank weapons. The same applies for Tyranid monstrous creatures. Although your list did have more then 1, there was never more then 1 on the table at a time. You either want to start with both of them on the table or both deepstriking. If they both arrive on the same turn, your opponent now has to do ALOT of wounds or be assaulted by at least 1, if not 2 beasts. Assuming its a Trygon and a Flyrant, that is 10 T6 wounds that need to be done. Should they both survive, you can probably take out whatever units are toting the weapons that can damage them.

3. Consider dropping the Flyrant in exchange for the Hive Tyrant that can add +1 to your reserve rolls. Dolan said those wings cost 60 points. If that is true, you can purchase a squad of 10 gargoyles for that price or beef some of your broods. The gargoyles would be another deepstriking unit that would benefit from the +1 to your reserve rolls. This would let you move forward with your Zoanthropes where they can be in range with their weapons rather then sitting back holding gaunts in synapse on an objective.

I think you have a great idea with your list. My marine list is also heavy on deepstriking and outflanking units. It also suffers from the same weakness yours has though. If you can get them all in early and together, you can wreak havoc on your opponent. If they come in piecemeal, you are in trouble. You just need to find a way to make use of the units your army has that can ensure you get them on time.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 am

1. Lictors cannot start on the table and have to be in reserve. They don't grant the +1 until the round after they arrive.
2. I do indeed need more monstrous creatures at once, but point wise they just don't seem to be worth it anymore.
3. The FLyrant was to provide synapse for the guants that arrived via spore pod. but we saw how well that worked both times, and as a result I have to change around a few ideas.

For future lists I'm cutting the a majority of the deepstriking, and going with a more traditional, "you sit there, i charge at you" list. Also need to configure a way to avoid the instant deaths from double toughness, since being in synapse no longer protects from instant deaths. There is also rumor of an errata coming out already, but until then I have to carry on with what i got. so prepare for swarm of guants covering warriors covering fexes covering tyrants covering trygons. so if i did it right that's 4+ cover save to everyone except whoever is in front.

hell maybe I'll start up a Blood Angels army lol, because if you thought deepstriking Hive Tyrants (WS8 BS3 S6 T6 W4 I5 A4 Ld10 sv3+) was dumb, wait until you see people deepstriking landraiders, yes you read that right, with the Sanguinor (WS8 BS5 S5 T4 W3 I6 A5 Ld10 Sv2+/3++) this is making me think with next edition they will create a new save, and then start handing out "ignore invuln save" weapons like candy.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am

I have made a new list, and it involves a lot of anti-tank options. Just have to see how well it will work in practice and not theory.
Back to top Go down
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
The Lord-General

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 am

Montrous Creatures are like tanks, you can always shoot them over non-vehicles or non-monstrous creatures. You either need another MC or terrain to provide 50% cover to get the 4+ save. Same goes for my Tanks.

BA are so expensive points-wise, that their army can easily be outnumbered 2 to 1 against other marines. They have some nice toys and rules, but they still die just as easily as normal MEQs.

I am bringing my Marines this up coming Thursday. I will be using a 1750 pt list if you want to up your points. I might be running the Marines in a tournament there on Saturday 3/27. Used them this past Thursday and beat another Marine player. It is nothing like Mart's Marine lists.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 11:03 am

That's the great thing about Marines... so many OPTIONS!

FOR THE EMPEROR!!
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 pm

i'll just add another 250 points to my current list and slide 2 things over. and see you then!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stas's Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stas's Tyranids   Stas's Tyranids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stas's Tyranids
Page 1 of 1