Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pulverizing a diamond

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

Pulverizing a diamond Empty
PostSubject: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 10:14 am

I thought yesterday's convo was so interesting I decided to make a forum discussion concerning it. Greater Restoration requires 5,000gp worth of diamond dust. How do you go about pulverizing a diamond? We're essentially a 9th-lvl party. We can't afford a Wish spell, which would negate the need for the Greater Restoration anyway. How can we do it?

Disintegrate leaves only "a trace of fine dust" so that won't help. We'd need a boatload of diamonds to equal the 5,000gp worth of dust. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

We wouldn't necessarily need a boat load of diamond dust. We could buy 500gp worth of diamonds take it to an appraiser and maybe with a little bluffing, we could tell him it came from a dragon, he could appraise it for 5,000. boom, dust instantly worth 5,000.

Cut the cost of all death-defying spell components in half???
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:05 am

You should know me better than that by now...

Magic isn't stupid.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 am

Stas, you crack me up. "We swear it's gotta be worth more than that! Come on, have a second look" (bluff). Andreas uses his mean look (intimidate).

I don't think that's going to work.

I also don't think that diamonds crush naturally, meaning that the dwarves probably don't come across diamond dust in their mining. It's the compressive force of all that rock that turns carbon into diamonds anyway--it doesn't grind them up.

Maybe we should look at it from reverse. If we wanted to create diamond dust now, in 2010, how is it done?
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 pm

if i wanted to create a diamond now, i'd take money and go buy one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_diamond

and an April Fool's Day prank.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_Make_a_Synthetic_Diamond/

DONT DO IT. IT WILL DESTROY YOUR MICROWAVE, BIG BOOM.

in game, idk cast a wall of force inside a wall of force, with a couple of pieces of coal in the center, the pressure should compact it into a diamond.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Rikan wrote:

in game, idk cast a wall of force inside a wall of force, with a couple of pieces of coal in the center, the pressure should compact it into a diamond.

No no. We want to crush a diamond, not create one. The material spell components for Greater Restoration calls for diamond dust worth 5,000gp. My question is, how the hell do you get diamond dust?
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm

oh sorry, we cast a wall of force inside a wall of force with a diamond inside it. boom instant dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_dust

It is no surprise that the only thing that can cut a diamond is another diamond. As a result, saws used to cut other diamonds, called scaifs, have diamond dust on their cutting surfaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_tool

we buy a diamond (or make one) and use it to grind out the dust from another.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pulverizing a diamond   Pulverizing a diamond Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulverizing a diamond
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales :: Pathfinder - D&D 3.75 :: Rules / Game Mechanics-
Jump to: