Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales

Beware the smiling DM

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

After we mow the lich...

Go down 
+2
Uncle Mart
Eric Gaidin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

After we mow the lich... Empty
PostSubject: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Andreas looks at Mel Gorrath's body and says, "We should have him ressurected. We need a sorcerer in order to destroy the purple worm. Choarrim never expressed desire to be ressurected. He is with his god now. We must leave, speak with the dwarves, restock, and then return to Kannor'vak. Only once we're rested should we take on the purple worm."
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Kazbo looks down at the charcoal black and razor sharp nails at the end of his fingers, then gives Andreas a questioning look...
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Uncle Mart wrote:
Kazbo looks down at the charcoal black and razor sharp nails at the end of his fingers, then gives Andreas a questioning look...

"Yes?"
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 6:00 pm

"You need a sorcerer huh? I guess I can find one real easy for you."
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 9:36 am

Rikan wrote:
"You need a sorcerer huh? I guess I can find one real easy for you."

Are you done with your armor-wearing shenanigans? We need a sorcerer that's not broken. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:38 pm

"What good is a glass canon to you? I had to protect myself ! "
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 am

Eric had asked somewhere for a list of loot taken off the Lich. This seems like a good place for that info. The Lich's gear included Boots of Levitation, Headband of Vast Intelligence +2, Ring of Protection +2, Potion of Invisibility, Scroll of Dominate Person, Scroll of Teleport, and 2 wizard spellbooks. All of those items were already split amongst the party, but I don't remember (nor do I care, lol) who got what. The only thing I didn't tell you was the contents of the spellbooks, which I'll send privately to Eric since he's the one who took them.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for the laundry list Mart. Ok, Stitch has already chimed in about the 12 gems he has. I have the two spellbooks. Where'd the other stuff go to?

By the way, I took a Headband of Mental Prowess +2 from Choarrim's body. I think he had other items that others got.

Also, speaking of looting bodies, Peter's character has a Staff of something and a Cloak of (Minor?) Displacement. I'd like the cloak. The staff I don't need.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:16 pm

take it all, i don't see myself needing or using any of it. gold is always good for me, or random items to sell off.
Back to top Go down
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Stitch

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Rikan wrote:
take it all, i don't see myself needing or using any of it. gold is always good for me, or random items to sell off.
Agreed.
Stitch clearly can't make use of the Lich loot...or gear dropped by our frequently felled casters/clerics. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:39 pm

According to Mart, in order to stop the party becoming too powerful from items off of dead players, newly created characters are very limited in what they can start with. This means that the party is going to have to provide for their own members if they want them to succeed. Here's a list of the magic items I had on my body, divvy it up, and give my new wizard whatever you think he needs Wink

Bracers of Armor +3
Minor Cloack of Displacement
Ring of Invisibility
Boots of Elvenkind
Ring of Sustenance
Rod of Extend Metamagic Lesser
7 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds

Also, my spellbook contains a number of spells, I send the list to whoever is taking it.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 pm

i actually wouldn't mind the Ring of Sustenance. plz =)
Back to top Go down
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Stitch

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:11 pm

The Rogue raises his hand for Boots of Elvenkind...unless we're recognizing size restrictions...
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 5:06 pm

I think magical items re size if I'm not mistaken.

Also, forgot about the most expensive item, the Ring of Protection +5.

I know since I am starting fresh, I don't have much of a decision of what I get, but some kind of ring of protection we might have lieing around would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Well played Mart.

I think this is overall a pretty fair idea. If PCs drop left and right and we simply loot the body while new PCs come into the mix strapped to the hilt we should essentially just start killing the new guy--screw the monsters. We get richer faster if the PCs die.

So, I'm not going to stripmine your character Pete. A wizard could indeed greatly use the ring of protection and the cloak of minor displacement. Keep them. I don't think anyone's claiming your rod either.

As far as the spellbook is concerned, I'll hold on to that. I'm the party's resident wizard at the moment, sad to say.
Back to top Go down
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Stitch

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

Eric Gaidin wrote:
I don't think anyone's claiming your rod either.

Poor guy.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Leave it to the halfling to take something out of context. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 am

I laughed...
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:06 pm

With Mart's new house rule in place regarding new characters and starting gold, I think the party should adopt this simple policy: Whenever a character dies, all of that character's belongings go right to the new character. I think this is completely fair. We can amend this, however, if the dead character was carrying something super important, say, an axe of the dwarven lords. Plus, it eliminates squabbling over your friend's corpse.
Back to top Go down
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Stitch

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 am

That seems fair.

Plus that incorporates a penalty for death, by having to suffer the deminishing returns of continually selling your old gear for half value to equip your new character.
(assuming you don't just reroll an identical character that can use the gear)

Otherwise, there would be no incentive to NOT make foolish decisions.
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm

[quote="Stitch"]
(assuming you don't just reroll an identical character that can use the gear)

[quote]

I used to be a fan of simply erasing the old name and writing in a new one, lol. I used to make nothing but fighters anyway, so it never mattered.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm

What a coincidence that right as we start using this rule, I created a character that can use all my old gear Twisted Evil . To bad it actually was a coincidence, we need a straight wizard in this party.
Back to top Go down
Rikan
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Rikan

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm

and what about taking the rule from 4h ed, where the only things you can sell have to be magical items?
Back to top Go down
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Eric Gaidin

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 am

Rikan wrote:
and what about taking the rule from 4h ed, where the only things you can sell have to be magical items?

That rule is ridiculous. You can find a buyer for anything, even mundane weapons. I'm sure you can find someone out there who'd like to get their hands on a longsword for a couple gold pieces. The thing about selling mundane items is this: as long as you're in a village or some settlement, just erase the equipment and write down the gp on your sheet as if you sold it. Maybe 1/4 value is best for mundane equipment. The idea here is that you don't need to announce this at the table, just do it. Taking up game time to sell mundane items is ridiculous--that's what 4th ed. was trying to prevent, but I think they went about it the wrong way. As long as the DM doesn't have to deal with creating an NPC buyer on the spot for your hide armor, I can't imagine why a DM would care about selling mundane equipment.

If I find a good number of composite longbows, I could potentially get 25gp each. That's significant.

Anyway, if a character is picking up a lot of equipment, they need to keep track of their encumberance and also have to figure out how to carry it. Those two things are usually deterrents against accumulating mundane items anyway.

4th ed tried to solve a problem by ruling it out--a reason we decided to stop playing it. It oversimplfied the game for morons to understand it.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Mart
Admin
Uncle Mart

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 pm

I have no problem with anyone automatically converting mundane items to cash, so long as circumstances allow it. If you are in a town and not in the middle of something significant, it's fine. If you are running away from an assassin through the twisted sewers of Waterdeep, it's not fine. Use common sense. And keep what Eric said about encumbrance in mind. If you mow a bandit camp out in the woods and decide to carry 50 longswords back to market, I WILL drop you in a lake. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After we mow the lich...   After we mow the lich... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

After we mow the lich...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales :: The Current Campaign :: DM Tabletop-
Jump to: