Share | 

After the Purple Wyrm Battle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 am

After making it back to chateau Anderway and hearing the news about Drow coming, Traven pulls the keg out of the bag of holding, pours himself a cup and takes a seat. After downing the glass quickly he looks at the rest of his fellow adventurers and says,"I really hate drow."

"We need to come up with a plan of action. The bastards are as smart and cunning as they are malicious. If we sit here and wait for them to scout out the area and attack the dwarves defenses, we may have already lost. I suggest we ask the Dwarves permission to bring more help down from topside. Perhaps more friends of Erebus or the wizards of Blackstaff Tower would be able to assist.

Andreas, our offensive spells will not be that effective against the Drow. I don't know what type of utility and defensive spells you have, but these would probably be the best type of spells to use. I'm willing to share and exchange spells.

I propose that we try to disrupt their scouting parties by setting up ambushes in some of the corridors that they would probably take on their way towards the Dwarves stronghold. Stitch, how good are you are at setting up traps? If you we could even just setup something that looks like it could be a trap, it should be enough to cause a scouting party of theirs to stop and inspect it, allowing us to attack. If it works and is deadly, even better. If they can't scout out the defenses, it should give us an advantage when they do attack in force.

I've got another idea that is a bit risky. We could try to use the Taanaruk's to our advantage. If we can find where the main Drow army is, perhaps we can teleport down to where the Taanaruk's are and lead them on a chase into the Drow, the teleport out. After escaping with the axe, I am sure they are pissed at us. We can let the bastards kill each other. It's risky, but could work.

Now, who else needs a drink, I know I need another."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Stitch quickly pulls out a piece of parchment and begins to scribble on both sides.

He hands the sheet to Traven with a grin.
"Hang this from a line in the ambush corridor. Best...Trap...Ever."

[The front side of the sheet reads "Drows Beware! Dwarf traps ahead! Turn page over for details."]

[The back side of the sheet has a blank space for an explosive rune, and the words "Love, Stitch" above a crudely drawn picture of a halfling making a rude gesture.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

LMAO! You play that halfling well, my friend!

View user profile
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:14 pm

lol

Traven grins after looking at the sheet and hands it back to Stitch.

"I like your style Stitch! We just need someone to place an explosive rune there."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 am

Andreas sits with the rest, and fills his mug. "Getting the Taanaruks to kill the Drow would be great, but they just as well might ally to fight the dwarves. You don't want to be the one responsible for setting up that alliance--then, you can count yourselves as enemies of the dwarves as well.

"I think it best if we try and raise Mystra. If you want to disrupt the drow, then get the goddess of magic to owe you one. That'd be a favor worth calling in. I think we should focus on recovering the rings of Mystra. We have 2, there are 6 left out there. If we can get Mystra to help out, those drow are are toast. Then, too, the dwarves will forever be beholden to us; although they already should be for returning their most important artifact. What do you think of this course of action?"

(By the way, who doesn't like a find-the-pieces-of-the-Triforce quest!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Traven fills his third mug and take another drink.

"Andreas, I agree that restoring Mystra should be our focus, but do we have any leads on where the remaining 6 are? By the time we find and recover them, Waterdeep could be a Drow colony with nothing left to save. If you know where the remaining 6 are and they are somewhat nearby, then lets go for it, but if we don't know where they are, I don't even think there is a choice here. The safety of all of Waterdeep may reside with the outcome of this attack."

Traven stands up and raises his voice.

"If we have a chance to ensure victory, I say we stay and make it happen."

Traven finishes his drink and sits back down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stitch
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 am

Stitch sits cross-legged against the wall and begins to make his shiny new daggers dance from hand to hand. He looks up as the firelight reflects off the twirling blades.

“Poking holes in lots of Drow is definitely on my list of fun things to do…but even higher on that list is playing with a God. Can’t you magical types just cast a spell to point us towards the next ring?”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 am

Andreas smirks. "Clerics could cast a divination but they're never with us for more than a day. For some reason the clerics are always targeted." Andreas looks upwards, at the invisible Master in the sky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 am

Lol! Don't blame me! You guys have fought mostly intelligent enemies. Tactics 101... take out enemy priests and mages first, they are the highest threat. That purple worm never even looked at the cleric. I'm just roleplaying the bad guys! =)

View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Oh come one, that's at least Tactics 201. Tactics 101 is to look and see if the PCs have fireball, mass cure lt wounds, or weapon spec. Meta-gaming the level of your enemy is vital! If I'm a hobgoblin and the party wizard is cowering in the back and relying heavily on Magic Missile, screw the mage; that fighter with the scary scalemail and masterwork bastard sword is my primary target!

Then take out those darn spell slingers. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:57 pm

I beg to differ. That cowering wizard presents an easier kill, and a MUCH more tempting target for creatures (such as Hobgoblins) that are not exactly known for their bravery.

View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 am

At the lowest levels the fighter is more powerful than the wizard--everyone knows this to be true. You wouldn't want to take out the most powerful in the group first? I think that flies in the face of convention. In the beginning of a fight you want to get the big guy down first because that's when you have all of your resources at your disposal--hp, magic, whatever. It's a little tough to take on that burly fighter as an NPC if you wasted half of your hp on that wily wizard. Think of it the other way around--you took out the fighter and now have half your hp to go after the lvl 1 wizard--would be a much more comfortable situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Negative. It's a numbers game. Taking out the weakest first gives you the best odds of victory. Look at it this way. Say it takes the monster 3 rounds to take down the fighter. That's 3 rounds that both the fighter and the wizard are attacking the monster. On the other hand, one good charge/power attack and it could be all over but the cryin for that wizard. Now the monster is only being attacked by the fighter, which would have been happening anyway, and it no longer has to worry about the wizard. Assuming it takes 3 rounds to kill the fighter and 1 round to paste the wizard, here are the options... kill the fighter first and you take a total of 6 or 7 PC attack actions (depending on initiative order) or kill the wizard first and take only 3 or 4 attack actions. Obviously the dice have EVERYTHING to do with the outcome of the battle, but please believe me when I say that I'm very good at figuring out odds. Just ask Stas after we play 40k lol.

View user profile
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:37 am

I tend to agree with Mart here. Wiping out all of the weenies quickly prevents additional damage that they would do while you focus on the big guy. It also reduces the chances of random criticals taking out party members by reducing the number of attacks made.

This is also where wizards and clerics help us as a group. Their AOE spells can wipe out the enemies weenies quickly (sometimes in a round) letting everyone focus on the big baddie. Of course at higher levels, the wizard does get some nice instant death spells and taking the big baddie out in one round is the better option (banishment for demons, polymorph other, disintigrate, feeblemind, etc). Uth and Pals had more then a few anti-climatic minor boss fights end quickly after one of those spells.

Mart, I do have to agree with a comment Eric made though. Not every enemy is going to be a tactical genius. Some have a "mob rule" mentality where rushing and overwhelming the closest target(s) is about as complex as their tactics get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I agree with that too, Gamsby. That's why I said that I'm just roleplaying the baddies. You have faced off against mostly intelligent enemies thus far. If you noticed tho, that Purple Worm (Int 1) simply went after whatever PC was doing the most damage to it. If I had wanted to, I could have made it swallow Pete whole and killed off yet another of his casters. He was already grappled, so it would have taken only a standard action to do. However, Chris had just charged and done an assload of damage. The Worm simply let go of Pete and focused on the greater threat.

View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm

I think what it comes down to is the context--everything is situational.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Lord-General
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 am

Ahem, with 4/10 rapidly approaching I thought I would get us back on topic so we can have accomplished something online heading into Sunday.

Eric Gaidin wrote:
Andreas smirks. "Clerics could cast a divination but they're never with us for more than a day. For some reason the clerics are always targeted." Andreas looks upwards, at the invisible Master in the sky.

Traven finishes his drink.

"We are in a Dwarven stronghold and one of their brewer-priests just helped us against the purple wyrm. Let's see if they can divine a useful location for the remaining rings. If we know where to go, we can go after the rings, if not we stay here to defend. Agreed?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uncle Mart
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 pm

500 exp for Gamsby for keeping roleplaying goin on the forum! 200 exp for everyone else who has roleplayed in this thread up to this point.

View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Quote :

"We are in a Dwarven stronghold and one of their brewer-priests just helped us against the purple wyrm. Let's see if they can divine a useful location for the remaining rings. If we know where to go, we can go after the rings, if not we stay here to defend. Agreed?"

Absolutely. I'm more than willing to pony up some gold for a new lead on the rings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Gaidin
Lvl 30 Blademaster
Lvl 30 Blademaster

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:31 am

Andreas continues strategizing. "Incidentally, the Divination spell is not 100% accurate, as I've come to understand. Further they must be worded carefully, for the prophetic response does not look into the distant future, but rather to the more immediate. With that in mind, I think the simplest question, and the most direct, would be to ask, "Where can we find the third ring of Mystra that commands one of the schools of magic?" I think that's specific enough and to the point.

"Any other suggestions?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After the Purple Wyrm Battle   

Back to top Go down

After the Purple Wyrm Battle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Uncle Mart's Fanciful Tales :: The Current Campaign :: DM Tabletop-
Jump to: